Posted by NSW Finance, Services & Innovation
on 8 December 2017
The first day of summer has promted a safety warning from Minister for Better Regulation Matt Kean who has urged consumers to be vigilant when firing up thier barbecues.
"There's nothing more Australian than a summer barbecue, but it's important to ensure gas appliances are safe to use," Mr Kean said.
"Keen outdoor cooks should regularly check the connection point at the gas bottle.
"Soapy water can help identify a leak in the connection. If you find a leak or smell gas, immediately turn off the gas at the bottle and discontinue use.
"Fittings and hoses should be checked frequently for wear and tear, and replaced as needed."
Mr Kean also warned consumers to avoid using barbecues indoors or in any confined space as they present a fire and health hazard.
"Never use a gas bottle that is more than 10 years old, as it could be potentially dangerous," he said.
"Consumers should check all gas barbecues and gas bottles to make sure they have safety compliance stickers.
"These stickers are mandatory on all gas appliances and show the item has been approved for use, and meets all safety requirements.
"If a gas bottle doesn't have a sticker, it can't legally be filled in NSW."
NSW Fair Trading inspectors undertake regular compliance checks on businesses selling gas appliances.